Friday 29 June 2012

The Open Relationship Paradox


Further to my previous post The Relationship Conundrum, I got to thinking about open relationships and whether the more hedonistic of my peers really are on to something. An open relationship means that you have a “special someone” who is the acclaimed love of your life but you are not exclusive in the physical aspect of your relationship. i.e. you can eff about with whoever you want and not have to explain yourself.

As much as my first instinct is always to condemn open relationships, I can’t help think but think of couples like Will & Jada and other unmentionables were I’ve seen it (sort of) work!

In the case of the Smith’s, Will said, “Our perspective is, you don’t avoid what’s natural. You’re going to be attracted to other people.” But isn’t that the entire difference between human beings and other animals of lower intellect? Yes you can be attracted to other people, there are always going to be people hotter than your boyfriend and sexier than your girlfriend but what’s wrong with the “Look but don’t touch” approach? God did not give us dominion over them so that we can stay acting like rabbits!

Don’t get me wrong I adore Will & Jada, they’re my second favourite Hollywood couple right after Jigga & Bey! But surely one must wonder, is it ever truly possible for you to completely separate the emotional and physical aspects of love and freely give one to one person and share the other half with multiple others?  Is love truly cursed by monogamy? in the famous words of Kanye West. Click here if you don't know what song I'm on about!

I don’t know, id be honest I’m a bit more traditional in my approach, I just don’t have the heart to know that the person whom I hold most dear to my heart is in some other girls bed for the weekend, sounds to me like a whole lot of pain and not much gain. Out of deference to his love for me, any individual I decide to invest my time in better be willing to allow some things, you know.

No comments:

Post a Comment