Sunday 8 July 2012

My Latest Nemesis: A game with Friends


My grandparents are such a cute couple! You know, the kind that has grown together in love and what not, 50 years is a long time. Anyways this post isn’t really about them. It’s about Scrabble. You see, one of the things that my grandparents do together whenever they are on holiday and just chilling is play Scrabble. They have been doing this for years and even on holidays like Good Friday, all their friends come round, eat and drink and then end the evening in a competitive game of Scrabble while trading stories of life. I’ve played against my Grandma a few times but with her knowledge of vocabulary, especially Scrabble’s two letter words, she defeats me every time!

One would think that this means that I play a mean game of Scrabble having after all, learnt from the best. I even used to think I was a decent player. All of this changed when I met Afam! Just recently, I embarked on a game of  “Words with Friends” against my dearest Afam. Make no mistake, Afam is no friend when he plays this game and would soon to become my nemesis. Can I just say to those who might be thinking of challenging him in this game, tread carefully! From 64 point bangers to two letter words that when placed in the right squares bring in a massive 30 points. I have met a range of skilled players but never has any of them had an almost 200 points lead on me! My self-confidence is shattered! Dead, dead and dead again!

After this I decided that I needed to start reading more! The last time I read a novel was in June! Horrifying! Trust me, I know. But in an attempt to increase my vocabulary, I shall be browsing the shelves of Waterstones to find my summer reads. I will be posting my list as I compile it. Recommendations are much appreciated. I have decided to make it one of my summer goals to beat Afam in a game of “Words with Friends”.

Side note: The novel that I did read in June is called “The Memory of Love” by Sierra Leone-an (help here?) woman, Aminatta Forna. It is the most incredible story I’ve read this year! Set in post war S.L. It is a definite must read! I was going to include a whole spoiler section but the more weak-willed of you wouldn’t be able to resist and then you might not read the book, which would be doing yourself a disservice!

Ta ta for now!
Morenike xx

1 comment: