Sunday 2 September 2012

Staying Single: Part 10- The Finale II

Previous Posts
_______________________________________________
Woman: Gyal ima need you to get outta hya. I can’ hev you stinkin’ up d pliayce, get a cab and go ‘ome hunny.

Embarrassed and still feeling sick, Kemi lumbered out of the ladies and through the masses of people till she got outside. She called Remy.

Remy: Giiiirl, what’s up?

Kemi: **sobbing** Hey, I think I messed up

Remy: Kemi are you crying? What’s wrong? Where are you?

Kemi: **spluttering** I’m walking down King’s Road, looking for a taxi.

Remy: No, go back to the club, just wait outside, I’m coming to meet you there right now okay? Kemi did you hear me? It’s not safe to walk about by yourself.

Kemi: Okay.

Her chest ached, her tongue was parched and there were trails of black mascara winding all the way down her face, she looked like an evil clown. Walking back towards the club she hears her name being called but decides to ignore it, she can’t have anyone see her like this. Maybe I should go back into the bathroom at the club till Remy gets here. But the voice just grows louder and she can hear footsteps quickening behind her. Someone grabs her arm and she jumps, trying to shake free. Through her misty, tear filled eyes she sees none other than the Ex, staring down at her face in confusion.

Oh gosh, I’m really not in the mood for this boy to come and rub things in my face. Can this night get any worse??

But surprisingly, seeing her tearful face and dishevelled hair the Ex feels nothing but compassion for her.

The Ex: Kemi what’s wrong with you? I saw you walking up the road; I was just on my way out.

What is wrong with me is you, you’re the one who broke up with me and left me feeling foolish and vulnerable and now I don’t know how to be happy with any other person because I’m still so messed up from you!

Holding her hand the Ex looks at her again

The Ex: Kemi talk to me. Or at least let me get you home.

Kemi: It’s okay; Remy is on her way to get me now. She’s coming with Jide.

The Ex: But Remy lives all the way at London Bridge, it would take them forever to get here. Call her now, tell her to just go to your house, I’d drop you there.

Kemi had forgotten how far away Remy was and seeing no other options but to stand here and awkwardly talk to the Ex while she waited, she decided to allow the Ex to take her home.

In the taxi

The Ex, genuinely concerned about her well being asked, “So are you going to tell me what happened?” Looking him straight in the eye as if to imply that all of this was his fault Kemi replies “I’m just confused, I keep messing up when it comes to guys, picking the wrong ones and letting the good ones get away. “ The Ex slightly uncomfortable at being put on the spot shifted about awkwardly. “Kemi you just have to know what you want and go for it. You always take the long way round things. I’m guessing things aren’t so great with the Suitor?” Kemi, taken aback by the truth in his words and the tenderness in his voice began to sob again.

The Ex: Kemi please don’t cry. It makes me uncomfortable when girls cry; I never know what to do.

And with that he puts his arm around her shoulders and allows her to cry into his chest, deep heavy sobs that eventually subside into whimpers, all the while trying to comfort her. Her phone rings;

The Ex: Hey, it’s Remy; did you forget to tell her I was taking you home?

Kemi hastily picks up her phone and explains the situation to Remy.

Remy: Don’t do anything stupid oh, you can’t let him take advantage of you in any way, I wish you had told me, I’m almost there now.

Kemi: He’s being way to nice to even dream of taking advantage. This is The Ex I fell for, the one I used to love. Don’t worry I’m fine.

Remy: I’m coming straight to yours now.

Kemi: Okay, see you soon.

They reach her house and Kemi and The Ex go into her apartment together so that the Ex can make sure she’s fully settled and take care of her before Remy takes over. Kemi remained inconsolable, fresh waves of tears taking over as soon as the old ones dried, try as he might The Ex could not console her or make her laugh. Her phone rang again.

The Ex: Oh Sola is calling you. Here.

Kemi stared at her phone blankly until it stopped ringing, it started ringing again and still she let it ring. She could feel the Ex looking at her confusedly, he had no idea what had just transpired between her and Sola. Even though she had no idea what Sola was calling to say, regret and injured pride would not allow her to pick up the phone and have him either shatter her dreams or elate her from this self-pity. She turned off her phone. Remy would ring the buzzer when she gets here.

Kemi: Sola is the last person I want to speak to right now.

She sits next to him on the sofa and allows herself to be comforted by her ex again. The boy who had hurt her so many times before now became her friend in this time of need. Looking up into his dark eyes, she felt reassured that tomorrow would be a better day still. And they kissed.

The End.

4 comments:

  1. This cant be the end....Nooooooooo :'( Mo pleeeaaassseee...:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, sorry boosky! It had to come to a close somehow! x

      Delete