Friday 24 August 2012

First Date Nerves- Response


So one of my favourite things to do in writing is to take a piece written from a male perspective and then re-write it from the female's point of view. I recently came across this amazingly detailed piece written by Tayo and I knew I had to accept the challenge! The original can be found here and more of his amazing stories/poetry can be found on his blog, TayoMichael. Enjoy.



He asked me out. Saturday he said. Saturday at 6. Just a casual link up, it doesn’t have to be a date. It took him long enough; he’s had the green light for a while. What to wear, what to wear? Are jeans too dressed down? A dress too dressed up? Maybe he hates yellow. I should go with black. Black leggings. Tan boots. Mickey tee. No, not Mickey, he might think I’m childish. Betty Boop? Too slutty. Gosh I hate my wardrobe. Where is my fairy godmother already? Nail polish is chipped. Hope he pays no attention to the detail. Mickey or Betty? Betty or Mickey. Come on girl, it’s 5.50. Too late to train it, call the cab. Make-up is acceptable right? Understated is always better. I pick Mickey, hmm how about Tweety?

6.00, I’m late already. He hasn’t text me yet. I wonder if he’s there. He did say he’d be a little late. Where the hell is that taxi? I’m starving, haven’t eaten all day. Quick, make a sandwich before the taxi arrives. Ham, mayo, bread. Phone rings. Taxi is here. Grab the sandwich. It’s chilly outside, should have brought a scarf. In the taxi now, I text my sister. “I’m so nervous, I really like him already!” Oh no, no no! This cannot be happening. There’s mayo on my leggings. My phone buzzes, it’s him “Hey, where are you?” Shit! I can’t reply just yet, I look a mess. Eyelids heavy with tears; blink girl, blink. You’ll ruin your face. Finally there. Overpaid the driver, no time to wait for change.

Jump out the cab, head straight to the ladies. Some water on my face would do right now. I wipe the stains, why won’t they go away! Frustrated. Exasperated. I just want to go back home. Breathe in, breathe out. I’m here now, too late to cancel. Text him back ‘I’m in the cinema’. One more slick of lip gloss and I’m ready to go. My hair looks crazy but it’s too late for that now. There’s a little girl in here, “Mummy, I want to look like her one day.” She says. She’s talking about me. I smile. I beam. I’m ready now. I think? Step out of the ladies and back to the entrance. Should I say hi or hey? Hug or wave? Oh Lord, my heart is doing 60 miles an hour again, I hope he can’t tell. I’m not even normally shy.

I see him. He’s literally yummy. Tall, dark and that boyish grin; oh boy. “Hi-ey!” My goodness, did I just cross hi and hey? Awkward hug, wave, shake thing. This is a disaster. “Sorry I’m late” he says. “Oh it’s okay” Do I let him know that I was late too? No. No point. What film to watch? I don’t know what he likes. Do I even know him at all? The silence is getting awkward. I wish I wasn’t so nervous. Butterflies in my tummy and cat’s got my tongue. Film doesn’t start for an hour. What are we going to do till then? My tongue is still paralysed, I’m starting to sweat. Oh small talk why have you failed me so? After what seems like an eternity, he says. “I want to show you something”. Show we something huh? Boys will be boys.

It’s cold outside. I really wish I brought that scarf. I cross my arms across my chest. That looks defensive. Uncross. Can I hold his hand? He might think me forward. At least he’s talking now thank goodness. I respond. We laugh. Laughter is good. I like boys who make me laugh. I like him. Walking side by side, why does the space between us feel so vast? It’s probably the cold air. But this is nice. He’s not too forward, such a gentleman. We’re still laughing. He’s such a joker. Playful shove. Finally we’re closing the space! I’m completely at ease now. “Where are we going?” I ask. “You’ll see” he responds. We get there. It’s beautiful. I must say I’m surprised. For a “London” boy he definitely has a softer side.

Film time now. Do we really have to go back and sit in silence? He’s paid for it already, might as well. Film starts. Silence I said? Far from. Elderly couples glaring at us. Hey! It’s not my fault I’m having a blast. The film’s boring, or maybe he’s just much more entertaining. He leans towards my neck, my heart’s going crazy again. I could have sworn he almost kissed me! No? Maybe next time then. Now that’s all I can think about, is he going to try or not? I hope he does. Pretending I can’t hear him, I lean a little closer. Come on, this is your signal. He wants to kiss me; I can read it all over him. Nothing. The moment’s lost now; he’s still being a gentleman. Almost too gentlemanly? Well I tried, maybe next time.

Film’s about to end. This can’t be over yet. I need more time. Definitely giving curfew a miss. I text my sis hurriedly ‘Is dad home yet? If not text me when he’s back’ ‘No, kk I will’ she responds. Score, I can stay out later. “How are you getting home?” he asks. “I don’t want to go, let’s walk” I say. There’s this space between us again. It took so long to break it last time. Again, can I hold his hand? Or is that far too forward? I breathe in deeply and reach out. I grab his hand. He holds mine immediately. Oh such bliss, I never want to let go. We slow down to a stroll and stop walking, watching the boats go by below the bridge. Does he know how much I want to kiss him? He can’t or else we wouldn’t be talking about boats. Resigned but happy, I squeeze his hand a little tighter. It’s been a while since I felt like this.

From nowhere, he holds me closer and leans in; I know exactly what is happening. Eyes closed. We kiss. Exhilarating! Completely exhilarating! His lips are warm, he tastes like Fanta fruit twist. Mmm, this was definitely worth the wait. He looks at me, I think I see my future in his eyes but I can’t be sure. Another kiss will tell. His arms go to my waist, mine to his shoulders. Perfect height, I don’t have to bend too low or tiptoe too high. We keep kissing; he’s amazing. I cheekily flick his tongue. My phone buzzes. That can only mean one thing, daddy’s home. I have to go. “I had an awesome evening” he says. “So did I” I reply. Heaven knows I don’t want to leave. This has been the best first date ever. Taxi is here. We kiss again and say goodbye. This time when he looks at me, I’m sure I see my future in his eyes. Perfect night. Perfect boy. Perfect time. Perfect personified. I’m ecstatic.

First date nerves? Pshh, they are such a waste of time.

Morenike.

Similar Posts:

No comments:

Post a Comment