Tuesday 21 August 2012

NY Foodie: The Lavish Findings of My Tongue


Some days I just feel like blogging a little more than others, today is one of such days. It is 5.06 a.m. as I write this and I am irreversibly jet-lagged. There is this awkward hour or two where almost no one is awake, all the people in my time zone are fast asleep and all the ones behind it are also on their way to dreamland. Unfortunately I do not know a single soul whose time zone is ahead of mine so now I lie here, bored. Did I forget to mention how hungry I am? Starving like Marvin really, and being the foodie that I am, I’m thinking of all the glorious meals I had while I was in New York and trust me it was glorious! If any of you are ever in New York you need to promise me, no not promise, solemnly swear, that you would visit at least one of these places! **drum roll** And now, ladies and gentlemen, in no particular order, my mouth watering, jaw dropping, taste bud sizzling dining list from New York City! **cymbals clash**

1. Ruby Foo’s
            If you love sushi even HALF as much as I do then this place is a must visit! Got the monster roll which had an unusual but delicious crunchy outer roll and also their special of the day which had salmon, tuna and some other great stuff which I don’t remember all wrapped in a delicious casing of rice and seaweed. It’s hard to describe the way the flavour of the roll burst in my mouth and completely encased my taste buds. No seriously, this sushi is by far the best I’ve ever tasted! Bar none. We also got to try Sake (pronounced sa-kee) which is basically Japanese alcohol made from fermented rice, to me it tasted like tequila and cheap sambuca, I wouldn’t necessarily recommend it but it was definitely an experience.
Monster roll pictured on the left with the special of the day on the right.
Concentrating so hard on the food, every bite into this sushi was a whole new experience

2. 53rd and 6th

            You know how people are typically very against eating food from vendors and other street shops due to hygiene and other various qualms? Well this place is definitely worth risking food poisoning for. After hearing about these guys from not one but three reliable sources, Folakemi and I ventured out bravely into the streets to find the halal guys at 53rd and 6th and boy were we glad we did! For a casual $6, we got the best most filling meal we had had in days! I must admit with all the hype around them you would think they would open a small shop at the corner of the block but hey! Definitely couldn’t complain. If you’re out and about in the city and need a cheap, GOOD, filling meal definitely head over to them for their chicken over rice which they serve with pitta bread and lettuce, and you can flavour with mayo and hot sauce. DI-VINE!
Yes their line does actually get this long! It's ridiculous!
My plate of chicken over rice, if I could pick any meal to have again it would definitely be this one! And the serving sizes are ginormous!

3. Rue 57
            A bit more upscale than everything else I’ve mentioned so far, Rue 57 was a treat to us by Folakemi’s brother. Although their menu was a bit too complicated for me, the waiter was pretty good and recommended their crab meat starter which ended up being the best crab meat I’ve had, save my grandma’s cooking. I ended up with a pretty basic burger, not very adventurous at all but I must say it was yum! These three mini burgers were so adorable as well!

Mine Kobe burgers at Rue 57, no not Kobe the ball player. That would be gross.
4. Five Guys
            Heaven in a bun like their ad says, Five Guys was literally the best burger I had through my whole stay in the states. The meat doesn’t taste artificial McDonalds, and the bread is not stale. In fact I’m quite certain that the burger came in a brioche bun making the bread that much sweeter and the experience that much more indulgent!

No comments:

Post a Comment