Friday 24 August 2012

TayoMichael: First Date Nerves


This post was written by one of my dearest friends, Tayo. I read it and loved the attention to detail and the telling of the whole story. So classic. I had to reblog it and also try and do a response which you can find here. Hope I did it justice, but for now, here's Tayo's piece.



Hands sweaty. Knees weak. Arms feel heavy. Ate barely 2 hours ago, butterflies in my tummy. I can’t control this feeling. Never been on a date before. Genuinely never met a girl like this before. She’s way out of my league, what does she even see in me. Will she understand me. Rhyming slang and a london accent. Will it annoy her? Look at my hair in the mirror. Suddenly need a new shape up. I should have cleaned my Vans.  Nah. I should have worn my Converse. My chinos don’t look ironed. Should have worn jeans. Such an idiot. Fuck. Sh’e gonna laugh at me to her friends. I feel like such a muppet. Should have shaved shouldn’t I. What was I thinking. Too late now. I’m here now. 20 minutes late. Never keep a girl waiting. School boy error number one. This could be the worst evening ever?

The cold air slaps my face as I stand outside the station. I needed that. Now to find her. I’ve never called her before. Do I text her? *sigh* I’m  a mess. Breathe mate, just breathe. Need cash, I’m supposed to pay for everything on a first date right? Why is this queue so long. Group of ladies in heels are laughing in front of the machine. Come on girls, get a move on! Look around anxiously, still no sign of her. Check my phone every 6 seconds. Why won’t she text back. Has she gone? I wouldn’t blame her. Who’s late to a first date. My tummy turns. I want to throw up. I close my eyes. Breathe kid. You’ve got this. My turn. Cash out. How much. Do I really need £50? Yeah just in case. Ok, lets find her.

Lips are dry. Can’t open my vaseline tin. This is awkward. My hands look dry. I just creamed them! Lick my lips and exhale. My phone vibrates. ‘I’m in the cinema’. Suddenly I wish she didn’t text back. I don’t want to go no more. Standing in the middle of the road. It’s now or never mate. A man brushes past me aggresively. That knocks me into life. Let’s go. Walking to meet her. I’m practising my greeting. ‘Heyyyy’. Nah, ‘Hey you alright’. Nah, ‘Hi’. They all sound moist. smh. Walking towards the cinema. I can see the door. Now my heart is racing. What should i do?! Full body Hug? Kiss her cheek? This is harder than I thought. [Yes it's my first time, don't judge me].

I see her. She’s stunning. Tall, slim and glowing. She smiles. I melt. ‘H-h-hey’. Half Hug, half I don’t know what to call it. Awkward. You idiot. Shocking is disrespectful to the word. That was apologetic. ‘Sorry I’m late’. ‘Oh its ok’. She seems so calm. We look at film times in silence. Thinking of a joke in my head to break the ice. You’re funny man! Say something. Nope. None. Zilch. Zero. Nothing. Kaput.’Nothing comes to my head. Film doesn’t start for an hour.’ Good! This isn’t how I want it anyways. I have a plan B . ‘i wanna show you something’ I say.

Outside. It’s chilly. Wanna grab her hand but I think its too soon. Nah mate. Way too early. There’s confident and there’s arrogant. Let’s be neutral for now. Be easy. Just talk. Don’t even remember if this is a date. Maybe she just wants to hang out. Fuck it. At least leave a good account of yourself. I’m better than this. We talking. She’s laughing now! Get in! I’m mocking her. Playful shove. 1st contact since the hug thing. Yep I’m counting. I’m calm. She’s responsive. Hasn’t touched her phone either. Can only mean she’s interested and there’s nothing to tell her friends about yet. This is nice. Pretty with a personality. What a touch. Reached ‘Plan B’. It’s always awesome. She likes it. Brownie points for me no doubt. Good work fella. This is going better than I expected!

Look at the time. Film time. Neither or us wants to stop walking now. But we go anyways. Film starts. Still talking. Laughing lots now. Whispered jokes. Concentrating folk hissing ‘shhh’. We laugh it off. Film sucks. Inches from her face. Do I lean and kiss or lean and miss. Is it worth the risk? Toss a coin in my head. Nope, can’t leave it to probability. Still skeptical. I actually like her. Rejection would make for awkward viewing. Not worth the risk I say. So I lean towards her neck in an ‘i’m yawning’ fashion. Smell her. Rihanna Reb’l Fleur. Yum. Wonder what she’s thinking..Wish I had more bottle. 100% attempt made to kiss ratio. I don’t wanna lose now. I can wait. Besides, I want the first one to be romantic. Sorta. None of that in the rain moist stuff. Just not in a cinema I guess. Perhaps a goodbye kiss? Yeah. Definately…..maybe. *sighhh*

Film over. Pretty decent in the end. Home time? I ask how are you getting home. Relucatantly. ‘I don’t want to go, lets walk’ she says. Can’t believe my luck. Look to the heavens. Thanks Big Man! Walking and talking, she grabs my hand, I clasp and don’t let go. Ectasy. Doing cartwheels in my head. Words don’t do my feelings justice. I’m guessing I should have done this ages ago. I’m shy. Bite me. Walking and talking. Clear dark skies. Perfect weather. Perhaps a touch cold. Her hand keeps my entire body warm. We stop at a bridge. Look aimlessly into the water and people walking on the river bank. I really want to kiss her. Just got to find the right moment. I know I’m going to. I just don’t know when. Devil on my shoulder – don’t bother you suck. Angel on my right side – ignore him, he’s a pest. Silence. She smiles. I smile. It’s not awkward but there’s a funny feel about it. We’re talking about boats. Really? Enough is enough. It’s show time boy.

I hold her and lean in and close my eyes; she responds. We kiss. [One finger skank. Gunshot salute]. WHAT!! Amazing! Seems like forever. Warm. Moist. She tastes awesome. Where have you been all my life. Lips part. She looks at me with’about time’ eyes. ‘I’ve wanted to do that all night’ I say. She laughs. We kiss again. and again. and again. I’m a good kisser I know that much. She’s not too bad either. Bite her bottom lip, she’s misbehaving with her tongue. Everything has fallen into place. Feels like a weight has been lifted. This definately should have happened hours ago! It’s alright I say to myself. I’m happy now. Perfect spot. Perfect night. Perfect girl. Perfect time. Perfect personified. I am buzzing.  ’I had an awesome evening’ I say.  ’So did I’ she replies. I’m planning my future with her already. Call me crazy. We cuddle. I don’t want to let go. Nights like these should last forever. I stare at her for ages. She is beautiful. We kiss again. I’m calm on the surface. Inside I have won the lottery and found the girl of my dreams. Home time. She has to go. Put her in a taxi. Not before a final kiss. If I died today. I’m calm. She’s drives off. I text my friend ‘pulled! haha x’. Home time for me. Best night of my life.
First date nerves?? Don’t know what you mean mate. This was all part of my plan ;)

Tayo Michael.

2 comments:

  1. This is so well written. A very accurate portrayal of the combination of nerves and excitement anyone would feel in that situation. Reading literally gave me butterflies, like I was experiencing the date. Haha xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww!! This is so precious!! And ditto to Ayo's comment. Felt like I was there!

    ReplyDelete