Sunday 26 August 2012

Staying Single: Part 8- In Love with S



After the party is over and everyone has gone home, The Girls were all in Stephanie’s room talking about the gist from the night. Of all the not-so-shocking revelations such as Remy spending the whole time glued to Jide, the most shocking was the following:

Remy: So guys, everyone has casted themselves except Nkechi, are we really going to let this slide?

Steph: That’s true oh, where were you? You were ghost through almost the whole thing.

Nkechi: Hmm, you guys need to stop asking too many questions, I told you I was busy.

Remy: Busy doing what? Girl, it’s either you tell or you sleep in the corridor tonight! **laughing**

Kemi: I agree oh, spill the beans

Nkechi: Well if you must know I was just getting to know a certain Sholly-boy better.

Steph: Hahaha, you were with Sola?!

Kemi: Wait, which Sola? Sola Akinlaja??

Nkechi: Ahh, yes now. Which other Sola! And I must say, he knows how to get down if you know what I mean **laughs**

Remy: You you’re just a hooker, I’m tired please I’m going to sleep.

Kemi: Hmmm, Sola.

Steph: Ah babe what’s your issue?

Kemi: Oh nothing, it’s just funny that’s all.

Nkechi: I mean to be honest I don’t like the guy; he’s a bit young for me. He’s cute though! I know you guys are bestos but you’re cool right?

Steph: Of course she’s cool! After the story she was just telling us about the Suitor!

Kemi: Yea exactly, I don’t like him or anything.

Remy: **coughs suspiciously** Goodnight guys.

After the lights went off and everyone was trying sleeping, Kemi lay awake thinking about Nkechi and Sola’s rendezvous, was it possible that Sola liked Nkechi? Because she knew Nkechi definitely didn’t like Sola, and if he did then why her? And how far had they gone? And again why Nkechi? Lost in her thoughts Kemi admitted to herself that the fact that the girl was Nkechi wasn’t what bothered her, it was the fact that Sola was getting with people in the first place.

Why shouldn’t he be allowed to get with other people? So what he was saying to me all that time about liking me was just bull? Sola can’t be with anyone else, that’s not fair. The jealousy in her gut was unshakeable, even as she tried to daydream of her episode with the Suitor; she kept replacing his face with Sola’s. Do I actually like this boy or am I just upset he doesn’t like me anymore? After many hours of deliberation through the night, Kemi decides that she in fact does like Sola but now that he’s trying to get close to Nkechi what is she supposed to do?

But what about the Suitor? Well he’s leaving soon so it doesn’t really matter! Once he’s gone, she can work on Sola again, she can’t directly make him fall for her; she has to do it carefully, and with this resolved in her mind, she falls asleep.

15 days later
The weeks that had passed involved Kemi seeing the Suitor as many times as she liked, they had gotten physical a few times but nothing beyond the first time. She also met up with Sola at their usual spot in Café Rouge and he confessed to having “slight feelings but nothing serious” for Nkechi. Kemi had also told Remy about her feelings for Sola.

Remy: You don’t like him, you’re just plain jealous that he’s moving on. Don’t go and do anything irrational! Nkechi is your friend!

Kemi: But she doesn’t even like him, she said so herself!

Remy: I just think you’re being selfish. This is exactly what the Ex does to you whenever you start liking someone else and it’s not nice.

Kemi: Okay fine, whatever.

But Kemi wasn’t convinced, she was sure she liked Sola, no one understood her that’s all, she would prove to everyone that they are meant to be together. The perfect opportunity finally presented itself in the form of a Tuesday night at Juju Bar, none of the Girls were there, Steph and Nkechi who had another friend’s birthday party and Remy was being a boring housewife with Jide. The music was good and the drinks were flowing. Kemi didn’t mind though, there would be quite a few friends there. Seeing Sola seated by himself in the corner, Kemi positioned herself to make sure he gets a good view and begins to gyrate in a most seductive way to the voice of some dancehall artist, she can feel Sola’s eyes on her back as she moves. The Suitor, seeing his girl dancing by herself makes his way across the dance floor and grabs her waist. Kemi slows the dancing pace and eventually stops.

Suitor: Oh, why you doing this to me?

Kemi: **looking bored** my feet hurt, these shoes are kind of tight.

Suitor: Her feet are killing her I call it her shoe-icide. Let’s go and sit for a bit.

Kemi: **glancing over at Sola she realises she has lost his interest completely,** Why did this Suitor boy have to show up at the wrongest time! Now Sola is never going to take me seriously. slightly annoyed she turns to the Suitor, she needs to get Sola’s attention again, but not right now**

PAUSE
Now I must interrupt this story here, to let you, the readers, know that Kemi is not a bad person, neither is she a slag, well not really. She does actually like the Suitor but remember he was always a short-term solution. She’s just a vain, naïve girl who wants attention and to be loved.
CONTINUE

Suitor: So I’ve been thinking of something, I want you to be my girlfriend

Kemi: Wait what? How did we get here?? But you’re all the way in America, it would never work

Suitor: I know myself; I don’t need anyone else right now. Just say you’d try at least.

Kemi: **in a small voice** I can’t.

Suitor: Why not? I thought we had something good going?

Kemi: I really like you, don’t get me wrong. But I’m in love with Sola.

11 comments:

  1. Wow, what a confession! I alwas feel bad when guys step up and make a commitment and the girl just shoots him down...i guess because I'm looking for someone to do that for me. Hopefully everything will work out for Kemi & co. Nice installement, I think I like this one best as it flows well and the characters have been established previously so I understand it better. Maybe do a character profile thingy first at the start of future stories?? I know that would be effort, but I would appreciate it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thank you so much for your feedback, really appreciate it! I'd have to bear it in mind for other series though, not sure if you saw on facebook or not but this one is coming to a close soon! Would definitely do a breif character sketch type thing if it helps the story flow better and helps people understand more! Also I checked out you blog the other day. Awesome! Xx

      Delete
  2. WOWW!! I didn't see that ending coming. Genuinely thought her and Sola would never share more than an awkward unrequited love friendship sitch. Made for a nice twist! :) Is this the last one? The story has been such a good read! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! It was the second to last one, still writing the last one, we'd see how it all ends! Xx

      Delete
  3. Called it! I've been in the same situation as this Sola guy in the past. Girls like kemi have to be manipulated (conned) into exposing their real feelings. If Sola is a good conman, then he's doing all of this on purpose - and if he's just a nice guy who moved on, then it serves her right! Either way, she should be made to work real hard to get him back.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOOOOL! You seem like quite the expert on this topic! I hear you, we'd find out if he's a conman or just a nice guy in the next and final episode :)

      Delete
  4. Ah Ah! Kemi, why now? Just like that? Lol No hesitation. I don't even know who to feel sorry for haha. Great stuff Morenike. Keep it up :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I know I felt like that too! (weird huh?) Thanks Morayo! Series finale coming soon! Xx

      Delete
  5. Lmao. Whoa whoa, there's no need to give Kemi such a bad rap. As Morenike said she's just young and naive. (Lol @ me standing up for my namesake). But I agree, great twist! Definitely did not see that coming. Shame though, cos I really like The Suitor!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! You and this your namesake gaaan! I know, I really like the Suitor too! Well let's see if her ever forgives her. Only one more episode to go! :) xx

      Delete
  6. I so didn't see that one coming...Mo well done..xx

    ReplyDelete